Monday, May 14, 2007

Some more pictures...


A few more teachers from my schools tying strings around my wrists in my welcoming ceremony. The woman next to the lady in the white hat is my landlord. She lives right next to me and is awesome!
All the teachers from Chumchon Banpetch School before we walk in the parade.

Concentrating really hard here. I knew about 3/4 of what I was saying during this little speech. My co-teacher helped me write it in Thai.

They also had a bunch of random games with schools from the area. The prize for each event was your choice of a case of beer or a case of soda. They had me up onstage handing the prizes to the winners and I don't think I gave one case of pop the whole time.


Looking out my back door...into my outdoor kitchen

The table and chairs where I sometimes eat.


Here's my living room where I get to hang at night.

My glorious cold-water shower! I didn't actually even expect to have a shower. When I first saw the house it had a bucket bath and squat toilet, but when I moved in my landlord had put this and a western toilet in...


This is my front porch. There are a lot of tables similar to this one where you can play checkers on the squares in the middle. I'm thinking of trying to bring chess here...don't know if that'd fly or not.

I call this one hands. It was a cool moment at a temple when they were pouring water to be blessed and two other sets of hands were helping this woman to steadily pour her water into the container.


During Songkran Festival many families travel around to various temples to pay respects to deceased loved ones. In this picture, seven monks tied a string from the door of a tiny mausoleum where the remains were across their laps and then began to chant and pray.



Beautiful sky in the province of Chanthabury.


This is also from the province of Chanthabury. This is in southwest Thailand is famous for being a fruit province. Above is a picture of a durian, which doesn't really taste or smell that good. But, people love it here. Hense the 10 foot statue.

My co-teacher actually thought this was a picture of one of my friends. I guess all white people do kind of look alike.



1 comment:

Melissa said...

Update your blog!

:)